While I have made Boston my home, I am from the south.
I was born and raised in Arkansas. There a lot of things I don’t miss about living there but one thing I do is the FOOD!!
My hubby BBQ’s often, its not uncommon we have ribs and lobster for dinner. NICE, right? I generally eat healthy all day so I can enjoy these delights.Og late,I have been craving fried green tomatoes, fried okra and BBQ. Last night I decided to make a lighter version:
Whats on my plate?
Baked BBQ Chicken and Oven-fried Okra w/ a spicy mayo dip sauce.
- Chicken drumsticks or whatver you prefer
- Mrs Dash (salt free) or Italian blend
- Cayenne or chili powder
- BBQ sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Coat the chicken on all sides w/ cayenne or chili powder and salt free Mrs dash blend.
- Place the chicken on rimmed baking sheet or casserole dish . …
- Remove chicken from oven and turn the temperature of the oven up to 425 degrees.
- Mix your BBQ sauce, sometimes I uses tangy mango salsa or mustard
- Coat the top of the chicken with your BBQ sauce
- Bake until done (45m-1hr ) depending on your portion sizes
Oven-fried Okra w/ spicy may dip
- 4 cups fresh-cut or frozen okra
- 4 tablespoons cornmeal
- 6 tablespoons Italian-style panko breadcrumbs
- mrs dash or italian seasoning
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3-4 tablespoons canola oi
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Combine the cornmeal, panko, mrs dash, in a gallon-size ziplock bag.
- In a separate bowl, gently toss the okra with the beaten eggs until evenly coated.
- Pour oil onto a rimmed baking sheet or casserole dish (15x10x1) and place in the preheated oven for just a few minutes to warm up the oil-
- In the meantime, add the wet okra a little at a time to the bag and shake until coated. If needed, you may add additional cornmeal and panko breadcrumbs — if the okra isn’t coated as much as you like. Carefully add the okra to the hot baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until tender, turning the okra halfway through baking. To get a nice golden brown, increase oven heat to broil and watch carefully, stirring as needed.
Spicy mayo dip-
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 Tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- In small bowl, add mayonnaise, ketchup, spicy brown mustard, honey and paprika. Stir until blended. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Try it, let me know if you like it too?!